Thursday 28 June 2018

CerebralPalsy - How it affects Me(Pranav)?

Cerebral Palsy is very Unique. Its different for each individual. Although it is unique, in general thereare few things that are common and understandable by someone who has CP or by someone who looks after someone with CP.

Pranav is verbal and very expressive. It's really important to create awareness about CP, how he feels and what he goes through and how he challenges himself to achieve his dreams. I write here in his own words.


Braces/Splints: I wear my Splints all day. It helps me to do assisting standing up and assisted walking. It also helps my leg bones to grow in a right direction.


Sitting Posture: Its hard for me to sit-up nice and straight as my core is not strong enough. I try to make my core strong by doing physio. Sometimes it is very hard to continue my physiotherapy after coming back from school, as I get tired. Although I keep hearing how important it is, it is so hard to push myself beyond my strength. 

Night Battles: My parents put me in sleep system or in gaiters to keep my legs straight during night times. This will help my hip bones to grow in the right direction. This will avoid any hip dislocations. And at night the sleep system help my legs to keep them straight and to have a bit of stretch to my hamstrings.


Loud Noise: Loud Noise really hurts my ears and I don't feel comfortable at all. It makes me sick. I avoided many parties most of the time with the fear that I get sick. But my Mom and Dad keep telling me that not all parties make me sick. They just help me to come out of my bad mind. I had recently attended my friends birthday parties. So I believe I overcome the fear of attending parties. I kicked the butt of my bad mind by saying 'can, can I can attend parties'. I use ear defenders to avoid loud noises.

Eye Sight (Amblyopia): My vision is not clear for far distances. And also I struggle to read my books as my left eye sight is Weaker that the right eyesight. This condition is known as Amblyopia. But Mom and my teachers say I am really doing good with my reading levels. I believe I keep challenging my vision and reading ability.

VoiceControl: My condition CP control the muscles all over my body. Sometimes I lose the control of my voice esp when I am excited. But sometimes me being cheeky chose to scream just like any other child.

No comments:

Post a Comment